Scientific and Technical Objectives
The project objectives will be accomplished through both scientific and technological approaches. These will address the present situation in Northeast Brazil in terms of surface and groundwater availability, opportunities for wastewater reuse as well as water needs from the agricultural, municipal and industrial sectors. Besides that, the impact of climate change and socioeconomical development in the region will be taken into consideration.
The main scientific and technical objectives of the proposed project are:
- Mitigation of water scarcity and water related conflicts in Northeast Brazil through sustainable strategies based on the integrated management of all available water resources
- Contribution to the recovery of groundwater levels of coastal and inland aquifer systems of Northeast Brazil by Managed Aquifer Recharge and implementation of measures for groundwater protection and quality
- Foster water pollution control by improved wastewater infrastructure and water reuse
- Promotion of water reuse in all areas, e.g. municipalities, agriculture and industries
- Demonstration of suitable German water reclamation technologies for different reuse applications